Monday 16 September 2024

Loosening the Grip


Liquid breakfasts
Drenched inner senses,
Moistened parched lips
As I thirstily gulped, 
Poured down throat
Juices of oblivion,
Flowing deep inside
To numb emotion,
Hitting every spot
Brought intoxication,
Drowned all thought
Disabled depression,
Slowly she took hold
With strong grip so bold,
Made my head buzz and pound
And simply would not let go,
Caused anxiety, agitation
Tears of frustration unseen,
Obliviation swept the mind
In fevered nights of delirium,
I swam with darkness bold
Currents so hard and so cold,
In the end, had to leave behind
Ventured solo into fields of light,
Found less oppressive paths
For my bloody sake alone,
Turning again to a life of smiles
Far more expansive and meaningful,
Discovering things that fix and heal
That no longer keep me on my jack,
Tossing aside this destroyer of solace
Other obsessions now come to rescue me,
Though her temptation is ever so near
As she continues to call out my name,
Like a haunting ghost that tries to captivate
Time to shake her unyeilding chains from brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment