Saturday 11 May 2019

Book of Pain - Tope Ogundare


First things thanks to Book Tasters and Nigerian Poet Tope Ogundare for a free copy of the book The Book of Pain in exchange for a honest review.
As regulars to this blog will know, am a huge fan of poetry and attempt from time to time to release my own, a task that is far from easy, as other practitioners might understand, anyway that aside, there are 38 poems in all, in this fine collection, from a poet I confess had not heard of previously .
It's a rather inspiring tome that touches on many universal themes,staying true to its title this collection of poetry inclues all shades, types and degrees of pain encompassing love, loss, heartbreak,  hopelessessness and death, tales of abuse, doors forced open, scenes painted of desolation ,filled with anguish and pity. With well crafted writing and imagination  Tope subtely manages to delicately capture it all, underlaid with raw emotion. What he offers us is not always pretty, but that's poetry for you, it's real, and certainly does not need to follow any  particular rules for form, after all the world of poetry is vast and varied, and that is what for many makes poetry so bloody liberating.
I believe Tope to be a poet of real depth, a psychiatrist by trade apparently, he shows a real flair for medical terms, and certainly displays a scientist eye for detail while at the same time allowing you into his own mind. Powerfully creating echoes of raw reality that most of  us have at some stage had to endure. A book riddled with intensity and passion. I personally can relate to the unigue messages contained within it's pages, and it's been a cathartic experience reading it. I especially enjoyed the fact that Tope utilises elements of free verse, that do not rhyme, and thus is not boringly rigidly structured like many a mediocre poet.
My only regret is that  I had to read it via a laptop, I like to hold a book, turn it's pages, carry it lightly to spaces where I need to go, wandering freely, I find it difficult to do so on devices.  nevertheless I would still strongly recommend this book, it's been a joy and privilege to amble my way through it.
I believe that many a reader could relate to this collection, simply for its lyrical dexterity and yes out of the pain, the beauty released. We all carry our own pain,some of it we choose to share, some we keep hidden,  this collection can at least offer some respite from it, and whether your into poetry or not, I feel there's something here that could touch many with it's courageous honesty of vision, so cheers Tope, all power to your pen, thanks for allowing me to share your world.
The following gives a glimpe of what lies within it's pages.

A Place Called Sadness - Tope Ogundare

There is a place called sadness
It is within me
The clouds of depression hang low
Chilly winds blow
Particles of pain
Sting watery eyes

Brimming with unshed tears
Seas cry out in agony
It is high tide
And islands of Happiness
Are submerged
The sun shines brightly
In monochromatic hues
It is a world of black and white
Dull, drab, dreary
Devoid of warmth

Rains empty into
Rivers of misery that swell
And spill over in chaotic thoughts
The waters are murky
Muddy sediments of
Memories left for dead
Interred in the river bed
Float on the surface

The land is rich
In loam Perfect
for seeds of despair
To grow into a dense
Forest of verdant boughs
Gallows of death
Canopies of darkness
Home of unseen creatures

Lurking in shadows of sorrows
Pouncing on weary souls
Feeding off their agony.

It is a place of quiet
And loud silence of marooned
Souls washed ashore
Lost at sea.

Anatomy of Pain - Tope Ogundare

My pain is a naked nerve ending
Bare and raw
Bleeding from
Burnt epidermis.
It traverses column of white matter
To grey cerebral ridges that Undulates
Unlike my pain
A constant surge
Of high voltage electricity
Carried under tension.
My wire snaps,
My brain hurts
I curl
I cry
I die

The Book of Pain is available at the links below

https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_book_of_pain/23906

httgups://www.amazon.com/Book-Pain-Tope-Ogundare-ebook/dp/B07MHP2B12

One can follow Tope Ogudare on Twitter

https://twitter.com/_topazo_


No comments:

Post a Comment