Friday 10 January 2014

Amiri Bakara (Lee Roi Jones 7/10/34 -9/1/14) R.I.P - The Dead Lecturer


Sad to hear the news this morning that Poet and activist Amiri Bakara had sadly died yesterday aged 79. Here is a link to an earlier post of mine I wrote earlier in the year that now serves as a kind of requiem.http://teifidancer-teifidancer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/amiri-bakara-leroi-jones-b71034.html
R.I.P to this great man. I believe his legacy to be one of  aching beauty..

The Dead Lecturer

The end of man is his beauty
And silence
which proves/ but
a referent
to my disorder.
Your world shakes
cities die
beneath your shape.
The single shadow
at noon
like a live tree
whose leaves
are like clouds.
Weightless soul
at whose love faith moves
as a dark and
withered day.
They speak of singing who
have never heard song, of living
wghose deaths are legends
for their kind.
A scream
gathered in wet fingers,
at the top of its stalk.
- They have passed
and gone
whom you thot  your lovers
In this perfect quiet, my friend,
their shapes
are not unlike
rights

1964

No comments:

Post a Comment